Friday, March 11, 2011

Fashion Personality Revealed!

Rafiki: Have you ever taken a fashion quiz?

Red Jade: Love them! Do you have a cool one for me to take?

Rafiki: Check out this quiz on Elle Magazine - http://www.elle.com/Fashion/Fashion-Spotlight/Personal-Style-Quiz.

Red Jade: Taking it now . . .

Rafiki: What were the results? Anything surprising?

Red Jade: Why don’t we try and figure out each other’s style?

Rafiki: That sounds like fun . . .

Rafiki: No way! I did the quiz and your style is “Bohemian”. That does not sound accurate. I would think more like “New Prep”.

Red Jade: Nah!

Rafiki: I took it again and this time your style is “Romantic”. So what are you?

Red Jade: Perhaps I was a “Bohemian” in an earlier life, sounds like fun. In this one I appear to be a “Classicist”!

Rafiki: How interesting! I thought your style would be classic so I guess I answered the questions incorrectly.

Red Jade: It does match what I buy and wear most of the time. But I would really like a more edgy style but it does not seem like a practical style to invest in. Where would I ever wear it?

Rafiki: I think you can make any style work anywhere, you just have to decide how much of your personality you want to take with you

Red Jade: A lot more than I have, that’s for sure! So according to Elle and moi, you are.....drum roll, please . . . “A True Lady” . . . er, don't think that is quite right, is it?


Fashion fades. Only style remains the same.
-Coco Chanel



Rafiki: That is what my results were too....so I guess you know me better than I know you so I have to work harder. I am usually either preppy or romantic since I like soft colors, fabrics and ruffles.

Red Jade: I can see that but I actually expected you to be more “Bohemian”. You do have a cool, funky style that is all your own.

Rafiki: I wish I was more Bohemian. I am not a conformist in general but I feel like I am attracted to safety when it comes to fashion. Maybe like we said, we have to be practical and meet the needs of corporate America.

Red Jade: I assign my clothing dollars based on my activities, so 80% goes to work clothes, and for that I definitely buy more classic styles. I do feel kinda schitzo though, since the 2 styles I really love are on opposite ends of the scale. Give me Chanel by day and Rock Star Glam for night!

Rafiki: How fun! That is an interesting idea to assign 80% on your work clothes. Our work culture is completely casual, people wear t-shirts and shorts to work. I try to stay business casual but I spend most of our money on casual clothing now. I am afraid it may make me lazy. Is your weekend style very different from your weekday style?

Red Jade: T-shirts and shorts? Good grief! Where do you work? In a park?


Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
-Mark Twain



Rafiki: I know it feels that way sometimes. It took a while to adjust but I love it. It makes for a fun work atmosphere.

Red Jade: So do you ever wear shorts to work? You could style them biz casual, with a fitted jacket.

Rafiki: I would love to be able to do that but I have never brought myself to wear shorts. I wear jeans very often though.

Red Jade: These days i only wear jeans while running errands. It is impossible to find a pair of jeans that fits well. My weekend look is very laid back cause I am too lazy to make an effort unless I have places to go, things to do, people to see . . .

Rafiki: Jeans are hard to buy but my policy is spend the money if you need to. Back to fashion quizzes. I love fashion and such quizzes are a fun thing to do for self discovery or for adding some pieces to your wardrobe when it needs updating. With ever changing fashion, it is good to stay true to your style and avoid spending too much on trends. How accurate do you really think they are?

Red Jade: I actually think they come pretty close. My only beef with most of them is that the multiple style questions are clearly written with a specific quiz taker in mind. For example the Elle quiz starts by asking "Who's your celebrity style icon?” Of the 4 choices listed, I am only familiar with 2 of the 4. Regarding the movie question, I haven’t watched any of them (I don't really like movies, in case you are wondering), so I made my choice based on what I have heard of them. So the quiz is really written for young-trendy-fashionable-pop culture savvy-celeb following-movie buffs-big city girls! Sadly, not yours truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment