Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Powerful Question?

It's weird how there are times when I find inspiration everywhere for my blogging and sometimes I am just blank. Blogging has a way of uncovering new insecurities with questions such as; Who is reading? Is it relevant to them? What do they think? Is it too cheesy? and countless others that I dare not allow my mind to explore.
Like any self respecting blogger, I went to Oprah.com for some inspiration. I found a great article called 20 Questions That Could Change your Life by Martha Beck. All the questions were interesting but one in particular caught my attention as I reflected on my life as an Immigrant. 

The question was; Where am I wrong? I think this is an interesting question that every immigrant can ask themselves especially when faced with the difficulty of assimilation. The answer to that question may be that you are not wrong. I think the value of the question will get you off defensive mode and allow you to learn faster and adapt better. This will lead to an improved life abroad and a better appreciation of the culture you are now learning. 

The next time you find yourself faced with an argument where you are defending your way vs "their" way, ask yourself; where am I wrong? It may help to take a step back and learn. It does not mean you are losing yourself, but that you are growing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment