Thursday, February 17, 2011

Interviews: What Not To Wear!

Rafiki: I am nervous about a business meeting tomorrow.


Red Jade: What are you going to wear? It helps if you are dressed well.


Rafiki: A black suit with a brown and black shirt and brown/black shoes.


Red Jade: Sounds very nice. Business meetings deserve the same dress code as interviews. Talking of interviews, I have to say I am biased against people who do not wear suits to interviews. What do you think?


Rafiki: I always wear one to be safe.....business casual is acceptable for us since we are casual but it still needs to be very proper.


Red Jade: Business casual is always very tricky especially for women. Our dress code at work is also business casual but everyone has their own interpretation.


Rafiki: I think that is the problem. It is better to narrow your definition and err on the side of caution.


Red Jade: I once interviewed someone who showed up wearing a bright pink skirt suit with matching shoes! It was really hard to concentrate on her responses.


Rafiki: I have a feeling she did not get the job.


Red Jade: Yeah, unfortunately she did not make it to Round 2. I was concerned that she might wear the same suit for business meetings with clients. Then there was the other person who had clearly taken the trouble to dress really nicely only problem is that she was dressed as though she was going on a date - body hugging, low cut dress and stilettos.


Rafiki: I had an interviewee who was wearing a very low top once and I almost said something about it. Even the guys at the office were embarrassed. The wrong attire makes people get the wrong message and not take you seriously.


Red Jade: Unfortunately, if you dress inappropriately for an interview, the interviewer is left questioning your judgment. So as an HR Expert, what items should you NOT wear to an interview?


Rafiki: Very strong perfume, anything that will distract like loud colors, large jewelry pieces, trendy clothes. Stick to dark colors, simple lines and closed shoes with a small heel. Hair should be well kept.


Red Jade: Are braids ok for an interview?


Rafiki: I think they are tricky because people still have their biases. I loved that Liza wore hers during the Apprentice and she looked very professional.


Red Jade: Yes, she did manage to pull off the look very successfully. I think it was because the rest of her attire was professional and sleek, and had the simple lines you mentioned earlier. So you would advise someone to take down their braids for an interview?


Rafiki: I would not say they must take them down, but I would advise someone to consider the culture of the company they are interviewing with.


Red Jade: What about makeup? To makeup, or not to makeup: that is the question.


Rafiki: I think makeup is fine as long as it is a day look with neutral colors. I would stay away from the red lipstick.


Red Jade: I remember reading somewhere that women who wear makeup and in particular lipstick are considered more professional than those who do not. And they earned 30% more than women who did not! I now make an effort to wear makeup every work day, but still waiting for the 30% raise.


Rafiki: Very interesting. I wear makeup because I like it but it is nice to hear it makes a good impression.


Red Jade: What advice do you have for guys at an interview?


Rafiki: Suit, Simple lines, dark leather shoes, dark colors and clean shaven. A tie depends on the company culture but a suit is a good idea. In general a well groomed look.


Red Jade: I think the suit should be dark colored - dark grey or navy blue. The belt should match the shoes and the socks should match the pants. No white socks, please.


Rafiki: Definitely no white socks. A nice watch is a nice touch. There are lots of videos on youtube on interview tips. Here is one from Monster UK.




No comments:

Post a Comment