Saturday, April 23, 2011

Earth Day 2011 - A Billion Acts of Green

The goal of Earth Day 2011 is to register a billion green actions that improve sustainability and reduce carbon emissions before Earth Day 2012.

Currently 40 million green actions have been pledged as personal commitments by individuals and communities.

Before deciding what my pledge would be, I took a look at some of the popular pledges to see how I was doing:
  1. Eat more local food - I try to do this but I have to confess as an immigrant I can't do without some of the "imported foods" that I grew up with e.g. mango fruit. This would be really hard to do.
  2. Bring your own reusable shopping bags - Check!
  3. Switch off tap while brushing - On a good day, I remember to do this. Can do better.
  4. Take shorter showers - there are few things I truly enjoy in life. A long hot shower is one of them and I cannot give this up. I will give up food before I give up a long hot shower.
  5. Switch to energy efficient bulbs - I do this when I buy new bulbs so, Check!
For my pledge, I have decided to "get a home energy audit and follow the recommendations". I will make sure to blog about it and share with you what I learn.

In the meantime, go to "A Billion Acts of Green" and make your pledge to do something to take care of our planet Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment