Wednesday, April 20, 2011

African Girl with Natural Hair Series:The Journey

I have had natural hair since June, 2006. It has been one of the most interesting journeys I have ever taken. It has come with some surprising discoveries about myself and a whole lots of lessons about hair.

 I decided to cut my hair because I was very curious about my natural hair. My hair was permed since I was 14 years old and I did not remember what my real texture hair felt or looked like. Before I went natural, I did not spend a lot of time thinking about how I would look or how people would react, I just knew it was something I wanted to do. For the first two years I had no idea how to take care of my hair.


Unfortunately I did not document my hair journey very well but I will try to share some pictures though some of them are not very good. Here is my only picture after I did the big chop. It is very blurry because it is a low resolution picture. I loved this look because it was so easy to take care of. I washed my hair everyday and put a leave-in moisturizer from time to time.

This was the next picture I could find. It probably took 6-8 months to grow my hair to this length. I still had no clue on what to do and the products I needed to take care of it. Water was still my best friend partly in part because I enjoy washing my hair and it was such a treat that I could wash and wear it.





These two pictures are my attempts of styling my hair. I had been growing my hair for about two and a half years and had learnt a lot more about taking care of it. One is my version of a banded afro and the other is a twist out.


This style is was my fist attempt to wear a natural style for a formal event. I loved this hair do an it convinced me that I could wear my natural hair for any occasion. It was a flat twist and single double strand twist style done by Tonya at Uncle Funky's daughter. If you are ever in Houston, Texas and need natural hair styling; it is the place to go. They have since created some great natural hair products that can be purchased on their website.

I will write a series of posts about what I have learnt from growing out my natural hair but here are some of the things I have learnt.
  • Black hair can definitely grow. You do not have to be mixed to grow long hair. 
  • Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! I cannot say this enough. Our hair is dry and needs moisture to stop it from breaking. I started out by mixing water with cooking oils in my kitchen such as olive oil or coconut oil. 
  • As you take care of your hair, you may be surprised by seeing what you may consider a texture change. It is just the way your hair is responding to the care you are giving it. 
  • Some products are not good for our hair such as mineral oil and petroleum. They coat the hair and make it hard to moisturize
  • Protective styling helps give your hair a break. 

This was my hair in December of 2009. I will post some more recent pictures in the upcoming blog posts. I hope the pictures that I have posted so far will encourage you to take the step if you are thinking about it. The following resources were invaluable to me on my journey
http://www.naturalhairrules.com/
http://www.afrobella.com/
http://bglhonline.com/ which used to be http://blackgirllonghair.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/kimmaytube
http://www.youtube.com/user/Longhairdontcare2011


7 comments:

  1. I love Uncle Funkys' Daughter. Tonya is great and she was my stylist when I had locs a few years ago. Can you share the recipe for the hair oil that you mixed up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My recipe is water, glycerine, any living conditioner and olive oil or coconut oil. I put it in a spray bottle and use it in the morning and evening. I also keep one in my car just incase the hair gets dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:25 PM

    Thanks for sharing, you know I am now on this journey and will be checking in to see the tips cause I am already noticing how dry my natural hair is compared to the relaxed. Not yet ready for a big chop so have to figure out how to successfully take care of the two textures. Scary but exciting...it's time.
    C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rafiki12:20 PM

    So proud if you C. The journey gets easier...I promise. Natural oils are your friend so is any water based moisturizer.
    Rafiki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:05 PM

    love this topic...keep writing more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:21 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People..Thanks unexplained mysteries

    ReplyDelete