Friday, January 21, 2011

Looking back, what is the best advice you received before you came to the USA?

Rafiki: It has been so long but I would probably say that it was "no matter what happens, never doubt that I am good at something and that I can achieve anything I put my mind to."

What about you?


Red Jade: Probably the one piece of advice that has stayed with me and served me best is "Don't forget where you are from". I have never forgotten that I am an immigrant and that the opportunities I find in this country are impossible to find in Kenya. Granted, things are better in the motherland now than they were 15 years ago and definitely with the current recession here in the US, it has certainly become pretty difficult to earn a living. But because of where I came from I have constantly worked hard, to make sure I make the most of this opportunity. Alas, age seems to be catching up and I have slowed down in the last few years.


Rafiki: That is great advice. Remembering where I have come from has helped me have a sense of responsibility and the feeling that I must do something with what I have been given. It is interesting because when I look back, I definitely value the value I was given, however the most valuable thing to me was hearing my parents say that we can excel over and over again. I am glad they gave me opportunities to excel at something when I was younger; those times have carried me through the moments when I doubted myself.


Red Jade: Care to brag? What did you excel at?


Rafiki: Maybe just a little. I excelled at drama and debating. I started to speak in public when I was really young and that helped a lot.


Red Jade: I think the power of parental love, support and encouragement can never be overestimated. What did you parents encourage you to do that has been helpful to you now?


Rafiki: They encouraged me to be confident and gave me freedom to be myself. They recognized early on that I needed to express myself and to be heard. They gave me room to question which has helped me push past the obvious. How did your childhood help you succeed?


Red Jade: The folks didn't let us slack at all. There was always work to be done; chores and more chores and studying after all those chores! None of my cousins ever wanted to visit as they would also be put to work. Today, I have a very strong work ethic, I love work and work feels good. That has worked out well for me because the early immigrant years are always very hard. Working long hours, juggling 2 jobs while trying to put yourself through school, is no joke. There is no way I could have done it if I had not learnt to work hard as a kid. Funny enough, I don't recall doing any work before I was about 12 years old. But after that it was like they were making up for all the unused child labor! I think here in America, working your kids like that would be illegal. Is it too late to call CPS?


Rafiki: Hilarious. Funny how the things we disliked have helped us along the way. I hated being asked to sing or say a poem when the guests came over.


Red Jade: LoL....No way! I hated being told just to say shake hands and say hello! Did your folks actually make you sing for your supper? What did you have to sing/recite?


Rafiki: We had so many to choose from....our parents gave us a song to practice during the day when we were on holiday so we had a selection. It was anything from Kenny Rogers to Roger Whitaker. I loved singing in general but I preferred trees as my audience and not family friends.


Red Jade: I am so cracking up...were your parents in the arts? Exciting times around your house for sure . . . sounds like you may have missed your calling.


Rafiki: It was not that funny at the time but we did other things too. Studying was at the top of the list but I guess they thought a little singing or reciting never hurt anyone. I wonder what other people hated as kids that they look back on and are grateful.


Red Jade: When I got here I definitely appreciated that they had made me do all those chores because now I could take care of myself. I could cook, do laundry, make my bed, wash my car, etc. I didn't realize then that I was being taught self -sufficiency. I have met many people who have left home and can't do any of these things. Life is so much harder and more expensive if you have to pay someone to do these things for you. No regrets there!


Rafiki: No regrets here either. All those lessons were definitely worth it.




The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself.

-Oscar Wilde


Want to join the conversation? What is the best advice you received before you emigrated from your home?

Post a comment to join the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment