Saturday, January 29, 2011

Let's Talk About Accents!

My FB friends...do you think your accent (either foreign or regional) affects other people's perception of your intelligence? What has been your experience? Have you made any changes based on your experience?
                

Muthoni Najivunia kuwa Mkenya (I am proud to be a Kenyan)!!! I have to accommodate other accents and I believe one should be proud of who he/she is and present themselves professionally. Other people's perception is purely a choice. Just be professional to your very best

Rachel Where can I even start! Sometimes when I tell someone i am a medical student- they always assume its for nursing. Not to put down nurses because they are the reason the hospitals stay afloat but like seriously??? after all the sacrifice really??? - so there is that stigma...I was once told by a preceptor that i was triple minority (African, black, female) so she put me through hell during my rotation with her, she was trying to wake me up to the judgment that awaits me after i graduate and try to convince the patients that i really am there to see them as the doc.

Muthoni  @ Rachel, I feel your pain, docs are respected back home and here you are with patients doubting your credibility. I work in a diversified industry and we have more accents than you can imagine.

RM This is great ladies.....keep it coming. @muthoni It is great that you know who you are and Rachel that triple minority is a trip but you got it girl!! If there is anyone that can take a triple whammy standing...it is you.

Bethie  I had to adjust considerably after people would ask me to repeat ....so instead of getting mad over it..I adjusted..after all when you go to Rome circumstances might force you to try and blend with the Roman otherwise you might make yourself miserable if you are not flexible...believe me..I am speaking from experience...and forgot to mention that I narrowly missed a teaching job because some person thought the kids in the US might have trouble with my accent!!!!

CK Absolutely! Everything we say and how we say it sends a clear and distinct message. The Brits define the English standard. It's their language. We may like or dislike the reality...... the truth is the closer ones sounds like the real thing (enunciate) ..... the further they'll likely to get ahead. It sucks....lakini ni hali ya maisha (but it is the way of life)!!!!

Joannie My experience is that the accent is not the problem. The problem is the origin of the accent. Once they find out where the accent is from, the crazy questions begin. Did you learn English on the plane or do you live on trees, and so on and and so fourth. You would think by now people would know something about their Presidents country of origin...But no……. I bet you if i say my accent is from the Caribbean i would not suffer the same crazy questions or validation. But then the longer i speak the more respect i seem to get and they actually start believing that i am smart....(if only they knew)

Joy  YES!

Muthoni ‎@Joannie, one lady asked me if we have TV's in Africa, and I was very green here . . . gal, I started speaking in tongues if you know what I mean.

RM Hilarious!! and so true. Thanks for sharing!

Ms. P hmmmm..it's been quite the opposite for me! I may be the first one to have a positive experience? My voice/accent is sought out - I've been told my voice has a soothing effect...that I speak eloquently... 

CK ‎@Ms. P, you can never go wrong with eloquent :) Way to go!!!

RM This is the article that got me thinking about accents. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! You can read the article here 

CK ‎@RM, Great article. The solution for my fellow immigrants (they're the ones I worry about most) is simple. We need to.... enunciate!!

Ms. P. Interesting article, thanks for sharing!

This conversation was taken from an actual Facebook conversation between friends. What is your take on accents and what has been your experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment