Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Thank You, Oprah!

Seems my invite to Oprah's surprise farewell celebration at the United Center in Chicago got lost in the mail, so I had to catch snippets online. It was very touching to see Dakota Fanning and the Oprah Show Babies take to the stage to tell Oprah what difference the show has made in their lives.


It made me think of the difference that Oprah has made in my own life. In the early years of my time here in the US, I was a devoted follower. Her messages deeply resonated with me and yet I could not figure out how to do the things she exhorted and inspired us to do.


After a few years, I felt that I knew the message that she was trying to deliver, yet I was not living accordingly. Let's say the spirit was willing but the flesh was week. I felt like a fake and a failure, like I had been attending school and not learning anything, nothing to show for it. So one day I decided that I would not watch the show anymore - enough of watching if I wasn't going to do anything about it!


But a funny thing happened thereafter, I found that the "Oprah Show" lessons stuck with me and now it was easier to actually use them to improve my life. Not watching the show actually made me start "living the show". Too much of a good thing can be bad for you, but too little kills your hopes and dreams.


The Oprah immersion that I had in my early years here, has made a huge, positive difference in my life-I now truly believe that I have the power to "live my best life" and more importantly to make a difference in the lives of others.


What impact has Oprah had in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment