Thursday, May 19, 2011

Conversations: What Are Your Favorite Movie Lines?

Even though I am not much of a movie buff, I do enjoy "good lines" especially those that end up in regular conversations.

They are powerful in the way they unite people to the shared memory of the movie. Of course, this only works if the people taking part in the conversation watched the movie and share your sensibilities.

This being the golden age of the internet and the wonderful world of youtube, it was not difficult to find a collection of great lines to get my fix.

Some of my favorite quotes of all time include:

  1. "I want the truth. You can't handle the truth", from the movie "A Few Good Men". I would love to use this one but I don't think it would go down well. Probably get fired, if I said it to the boss and it's too mean to say to a friend.
  2. "My name is Bond, James Bond". You need serious cojones to use this one so people don't laugh in your face. Sadly, I have never used it.
  3. "Hasta la vista, baby". What happens when you never watched the movie and don't speak the language? You think that "hasta la vista" means hurry up, drop it in conversation and have everyone burst out laughing. Don't ask!

What are your favorite movie lines? Do you ever use them?

3 comments:

  1. Rafiki1:15 PM

    My favorite movie line are "Show me the money".- Jerry Maguire.

    Momma always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get. -Forrest Gump

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:17 PM

    Every man dies, not every man really lives. -William Wallace, Braveheart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, Love the Braveheart quote! Never watched the movie,kinda scared by the gory trailers they showed. What a shame that most of us die before we have the opportunity to "really live".

    ReplyDelete