Friday, July 29, 2011

The Strauss-Kahn Case; Who-is-who vs who-is-not?

The recent developments in the Strauss-Kahn case have made me think about what I would do as an immigrant in various situations. Nafissatou Diallo is the hotel maid from Guinea who claims that Dominique Strauss-Kahn sexually assaulted her. She gave interviews to Newsweek and ABC news this week to tell her side of the story. Since the case has not been tried yet, I do not have any comments about whether Mr. Strauss-Kahn is guilty or not.



However I am watching this case with fascination because it is a classic case of who is who vs who is not. It is also an inside view on the plight of the immigrant and how immigration applications come up repeatedly to determine character. Very rarely does a prosecution question the credibility of their witness. I would think that by the time a prosecutor takes on a case they have made a commitment to try the case based on the evidence.

As an immigrant woman I am watching this case because it tells a different side of our  story. Life in the west is not always rosy. Sometimes it is long hours doing a job that you desperately need to pay all the bills that you are responsible for. This case raises a few questions in my mind

  1. Can a woman just cry rape with no reason? 
  2. Does power make people careless?
  3. Does money buy justice? And if so is there such a thing as justice?
  4. How do you measure a person's credibility? 
  5. Is it worth it to take on the rich and powerful? 
Perhaps these questions tell which side I am leaning on. Let's talk about it....today is conversation Friday! 

2 comments:

  1. Catherine K1:26 PM

    I applaud her for giving her side of the story. I had started to believe that her story was not credible because all I was hearing was what was being reported in the press. Now I am not so sure of that position anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine I was in the same boat. It was interesting seeing her on the interview. She became real as opposed to just being the accuser. We will see how it all plays out.

    ReplyDelete