Monday, June 27, 2011

African Girl with Natural Hair Series: Say Yes to Indian powders

During my journey growing my natural hair, I have researched cultures that have beautiful hair to learn their ancient practices that keep the hair healthy and beautiful. People have admired indian hair for generations and I have sought to find out their beauty secrets. I love the fact that they use many natural oils and powders. I have adapted the following practices for my hair regimen. 

Amla Powder: 
This powder is made from Indian gooseberry plant. I use it as a cleanser and to make my deep conditioner. It gives nourishment to hair because it is rich in vitamin C, removes dandruff and gives it body. It also stimulates the scalp because it is a natural astringent and prevents infection. You can also use it on the skin to remove grime and prevent acne breakouts. This powder can be bought in indian stores. They also sell the Amla oil but most of the oils contain mineral oil which is not good for the hair. I add Amla powder to coconut milk and a few drops of coconut oil to make a deep conditioner. 





Shikakai powder:
This powder is made from the fruit of the Acacia Concinna tree. I use it as a cleanser and mix it with a conditioner once or twice a month to remove any build up. It is a natural cleansing agent which cleanses hair and the scalp and leaves hair looking shiny and clean. It also promotes growth because it stimulates the scalp and acts as a coolant. Shikakai is drying to my hair so I always follow the wash with a conditioner for a clean silky feeling. I also mix it with amla powder for a less drying effect. 



No comments:

Post a Comment