Saturday, June 25, 2011

African Girl with Natural Hair Series: My Regimen

I wash twice a week or every 3-4 days with any moisturizing conditioner...I use suave and Herbal Essences Hello Hydration which I love. I do not use shampoo. 

I do a deep condition weekly or biweekly depending on how busy I am and just rinse it off with water. Sometimes I use a store bought deep conditioner or just mix coconut milk with amla and any other natural oils I may have. 

Every couple of weeks, I mix some indian powders-amla/shikakai to wash the hair thoroughly. If I still have product build up in my hair, I rinse it with apple cider vinegar. 

I do a protein conditioner once or every two months just depending on how my hair feels. If my hair starts breaking, then I know it is time for a protein conditioner. I also use Henna from time to time. 

After I wash my hair, I apply a moisturizer which is either store bought such as Shea butter or a home mixture of cooking olive oil or coconut oil and seal it with castor oil. If I want to style my hair then I use Carol's daughter hair milk and if it is a curly hairstyle, I use a water based moisturizer Fantasia IC Pure Tea Silk Moisturizer. I regularly spritz my hair with a mixture of water, coconut oil and glycerin. I stick with low manipulation styles and use fingers to style my hair. 
Some products I avoid are 
  • Any products containing alcohol because they are drying to hair
  • Any products with petroleum and mineral oil because it coats the hair and keeps out moisture
  • Any products with sodium and ammonium laurel sulfate which is why I do not use most shampoos
  • Any products with parabens
I would love to hear what works for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment