Monday, September 19, 2011

Visionary Living Series: Unalienable rights


How is the phrase “unalienable rights” and the 11th day of September forever linked? At the very least, on this 10th anniversary I feel we owe those directly affected by the unfortunate events a time to reflect. How are we doing 10 years removed from those horrific events?

Speaking of reflection, I realized that taking time off about once a quarter to be alone and reflect has been an invaluable exercise. It allows me the necessary space and time to think through a variety of things going on in my world and how I can improve or correct them. In fact, I can directly link successes in my spiritual, marital, parental, physical and business life to it.

 On this first post on the Makuti lounge, I am fortunate to be sitting by a long winding river watching kayakers go by and reflecting back. Other than the comforting swooshes of paddles hitting the water and occasional chirping of birds, there is complete silence. But in my head there is a phrase blaring loud: “Unalienable Rights” 

Of course, that phrase refers to the amazing section in the US Declaration of Independence that asserts:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal, that they are endowed, by their Creator, with certain unalienable Rights."
That very phrase "unalienable rights," has always stuck with me and I’ve always wondered why.
Perhaps it’s because the phrase jumps out of a very profound sentence. Within that sentence, the founding fathers reflected on their new hard fought freedom and rightfully concluded that there are certain rights that God has bestowed upon every person. Because they are God instituted, no man, organization or government should ever take them away. These rights include life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. 

A bigger reason that phrase has stuck with me is because the first time I really gave thought to the phrase “unalienable rights” was a few days after September 11th2001. There is this image that has been seared in my memory from that fateful day. I remember that as the twin towers were burning, there was a lady facing a decision far greater than a life or death decision. She knew she was going to probably die and in those few minutes was forced to ‘choose a means of death.’

In the cruelest of ways her pursuit of life, liberty and happiness were being taken away.  I give no credit to the terrorists. They simply did not sit down and think this through, but the unintended result of their terror was an attempt to take away the sacred “unalienable rights”. In the most gut wrenching of decisions this precious lady jumped to her death rather than be engulfed in the blazing fire.  

In light of that day what have I learned since?  
  1. Live this life understanding that many others have paid the ultimate sacrifice to make these “unalienable rights” possible.
  2. Those who seek to cause terror amongst us will always win if we don’t live up to these unalienable rights. Failing to pursue life, liberty and happiness is giving in to the unintended consequences of terror.
  3. Pass it on: In other words, live in such a way others can benefit from the same “unalienable rights” afforded to us. This requires paying no attention to culture, race, background, religion or country of origin in who gets to benefit. 
I have found it requires cultivating a sense of joy and happiness in seeing others finally live up to these rights we all share.
Ultimately, we have this one life to live. Through future blogs I’ll post some of the best lessons and experiences I have picked up over the years. I hope to provide examples of mentors, friends, clients, colleagues and strangers who have impacted my life in ways I never thought possible. 



Written by Bernard Wambugu, CEO, Lantel Systems

No comments:

Post a Comment